PERSEPHONE project aims to design, provide and validate an innovative energy-aware IT ecosystem that can be easily deployable and applicable in small offices and houses, for motivating end-users’ behavioural changes towards the adoption of energy efficient lifestyle.
Building upon the evolvements in the Internet of Things, Data Modelling and Analysis and Recommendation and Gamification eras, PERSEPHONE will develop a mobile application and a game targeted at providing energy related information, to end users, triggering interaction with relevant users, thus increasing their awareness on ways to achieve energy consumption savings in their daily activities and adopt energy efficient lifestyles based on a set of recommendations and motives targeted to their culture and comfort zone. Additionally the proposed framework will support personalized behavioural analysis and consumption disaggregation, to provide individuals with tailor made efficiency insights and motives to adopt greener behaviours.
PERSEPHONE project upports automated and homogeneous data collection and management through the aggregation of data streams generated from sensor networks and smart meters, as well as through the retrieval of data from mobile crowd sensing activities and their mapping to well-defined semantic models.
Validation and evaluation of the developed mechanisms and tools will take place in real life activities of energy consumers, through a set of trials in one pilot site (small office) located in Limassol, Cyprus; based on a detailed plan, specific scenarios and methodology along with well-defined performance indicators.
PERSEPHONE project supports automated and homogeneous data collection and management through the aggregation of data streams generated from wireless sensor networks and smart meters, as well as through the retrieval of data from mobile crowd sensing activities and their mapping to well-defined semantic models.
- the design and implementation of scalable sensor data monitoring mechanisms supporting the aggregation of data streams coming from small and large-scale IoT deployments and exploiting the high performance in terms of data management by modern time series databases; such a characteristic is crucial for guaranteeing the high-performance characteristics of the produced platform.
- the conceptualization of descriptive behavioural models able to capture the behavioural characteristics of end users with regards to their energy consumption profiles, along with their specification of their comfort zone and their daily device’s usage patterns; upon advanced behavioural profiling, personalised recommendations can be provided increasing the acceptance ration and, thus, the impact on energy efficiency.
- the design and development of big data analytics mechanisms for extracting energy and behavioural analytics that can feed the recommendation mechanisms; such analytics mechanisms are going to support the ease integration of analysis scripts provided by data scientists without imposing strict requirements on the usage of a specific analysis framework, revealing in this way the potential for integration of evolving analysis mechanisms.
- the design and development of a user-friendly rule-based management system, facilitating the straight-forward declaration of rules for sending personalised recommendations as well as their continuous evaluation and monitoring under real conditions.
- the collection of continuous feedback from the end users through mobile crowdsensing mechanisms and the support of self-learning and self-adaptation models with regards to the provided recommendations taking into account their daily interaction with the provided applications and games.
- the provision of an easily deployable and manageable IT ecosystem with small learning curve and operational overhead, facilitating its adoption by non-expert IT users in small offices and houses.
- the design and development of a set of personalised applications and games targeted for small offices and houses, as well as different profiles (e.g. educational oriented, game play oriented).
PERSEPHONE Impact & Benefits
Research identified that the two main barriers for energy conservation are affordability of equipment and lack of information/hassle to perform the necessary actions. Notably, while people want to save energy, they seem reluctant to inform themselves and take appropriate action. It is thus evident, that any energy efficiency solution has to demonstrate cost-efficiency for the consumer and minimum disruption in his daily life, albeit motivating them to slowly adapt their behaviours toward more energy efficient ones. The PERSEPHONE solution delivers in both these fronts.
PERSEPHONE adopts a utility-oriented business strategy, allowing energy utilities to take advantage of the innovative solutions delivered by the project to provide added value services to their clientele/ consumers. The PERSEPHONE business model are envisaged to ensure that all infrastructure costs are absorbed by utilities through subsidies. In terms of disruption, the PERSEPHONE unique combination of behavioural triggering tools and comfort profiling guarantee near complete energy waste elimination. Utilities, are expected to materialize significant benefits from using the PERSEPHONE solution:
- Larger traceable energy savings that will alleviate political and policy pressure and, in some countries, even alleviate financial penalties stemming from Energy Efficiency Obligations.
- Diversified utility offerings toward consumers including value-adding services on top of commodity energy supply to differentiate against the competition in a saturated commodity market.
- An easily replicable, robust and scalable business/revenue model for utilities, provided by leveraging low-cost, off-the-shelf electronic components and the Energy-as-a-Service delivery model.
In the residential domain, different interventions types are reported to bring benefits. The effectiveness of awareness-raising approaches based on normative feedback depends on the feedback immediacy. Offline feedback brings about 3% savings while real-time feedback can offer savings up to about 10% purely by triggering users into action based on the delivered normative comparison. Through real-time, personalized and normative feedback delivered by the PERSEPHONE applications and end-user services.
PERSEPHONE solution foresees an average 25% reduction in the energy consumption of the intervention subjects. Further benefits for the end-users are significant and include:
- Significant energy bill reduction using utility subsidized ICT infrastructure to remove the affordability barrier and enhance market penetration.
- A more comfortable and environment-friendly lifestyle.
- Potential additional income sources by financially exploiting consumption and behaviour data. As stated earlier, the end-user will be the sole owner of the data regarding their energy consumption and behavioural patterns.