PERSEPHONE Project Mission
PERSEPHONE project aims to support energy efficiency in the buildings sector through behavioural change of the occupants with regards to their daily energy consumption profile, as well as their preferences in terms of a personal comfort zone (e.g. range of indoor temperature levels where they feel well). PERSEPHONE project exploits the advantages provided by a set of novel ICT technologies for enabling the design, development and provision of personalized energy management and awareness services in smart buildings.
PERSEPHONE Project Overview
PERSEPHONE project focuses on the improvement of energy efficiency in small houses and offices along with the identified market opportunity for the provision of personalized and intelligent energy management services. As such, PERSEPHONE is going to achieve energy efficiency without sacrificing the comfort of inhabitants, achieve behavioural change in long term through the adoption of more energy efficient policies, while offering a sustainable approach that can be adopted without being very intrusive.
The vision of PERSEPHONE is to design and deploy an innovative IT ecosystem for motivating end-users’ behavioural changes towards the adoption of energy efficient lifestyles, building upon the evolvements in the Internet of Things, Data Modelling and Analysis and Recommendation and Gamification eras.
PERSEPHONE solution will provide a product that will be deployed in the customer site (the software can be provided in a cloud environment) and will learn in an initial stage the behaviour of energy usage (appliance period use, pattern of consumption, working hours) and then will provide a collection of tuned and personalised rules aiming to improve energy efficiency with an objective of 25%. The main result of the project include the integrated PERSEPHONE platform, a set of personalised applications, as well as the pilot validation and performance evaluation results in real settings close to small offices and houses environment.
PERSEPHONE Project Objectives
- to design, implement and validate an innovative IT ecosystem for motivating end-users’ behavioural changes; towards the adoption of energy efficient lifestyles, leading to energy efficiency improvement levels of up to 40% (on average 25%).
- to support automated and homogeneous data collection and management through the aggregation of data streams generated from sensor networks and smart meters, as well as through the retrieval of data from mobile crowd sensing activities and their mapping to well-defined semantic models;
- to support real-time monitoring and analysis of energy consumption data; user will be provided with capabilities for setting up thresholds, monitor, track and chart a number of quantitative and qualitative key performance indicators, as well as to design and implement powerful algorithms to disaggregate and process data from an office’s or household’s consumption, clients’ relevant behaviour, weather and utility demand and supply information to help households identify energy “black holes” and adopt energy saving behaviours;
- to support personalized behavioural analysis and consumption disaggregation and provide individuals with tailor made efficiency insights and motives to adopt greener behaviours; advanced modelling mechanisms will be proposed considering inhabitants/employees' preferences with regards to the specification of their comfort zone levels. Such models will continuously evolved and will be able to identify behavioural changes.
- to provide consumption and cost efficiency motivation and information,including personalized retrofit suggestions and tips with estimated cost and return on investment time, peer comparison with neighbours, in terms of total and disaggregated consumption, monthly projections of consumption and savings;
- to support energy characterization of buildings and services as a means for obtaining energy certifications coherent with the European Eco-design provisions;
- to validate and evaluate the research results by developing a set of proof-of-concept showcases, proving the applicability and effectiveness of the proposed, innovative technologies, models and tools.